Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fluffy butts!


WARNING: Some of you may find this incredibly boring!

Okay, so for those of you who know me well, you know that I'm a pretty avid cloth diaper-er. Both kids have worn them since they stopped pooping out black tar (meconium, if you want to get technical) at 2 or 3 days old. Up until now I'd always used Fuzzibunz, a pocket diaper with a microfleece inner, a PUL outer, stuffed with microfiber inserts. We bought these kind for Garrett and have them in 3 different sizes (up to potty training size). They're simple, I just put them on the kids' butts, washed them, and didn't really think about it much. Then it all changed..........

I decided to make the switch to natural fibers a few months back, by selling off the small Fuzzibunz once Owen grew out of them, and the large ones that got too big for Garrett once he started slimming down. Then, with both kids in mediums, I could sell off the smalls and larges, building a stash of things I like. I'm cheap, and don't want to spend more money on diapers than we've already spent ($1500 or so on Fuzzibunz), so I wanted to sell them off first. Luckily, there's a fabulous online cloth-diapering community, full of mamas who like to buy, sell, and talk about diapers! I went for prefolds (A thick piece of cotton you fold and pin or snappi together) and fitteds, both of which need a cover over them. I went for wool, which is a natural fiber, that is antibacterial (when lanolized properly, it actually turns pee into saline) and can absorb up to three times it's weight in water without feeling wet.

Before the switch, I'd never been one of those mamas who likes to discuss and drool endlessly over cloth (and you know who you are), but now it's a whole different ballgame. There are diapers out there that are so soft and silky (like OBV, organic bamboo/velour), you wish you were wearing them. In patterns so cute you wouldn't believe, and in all different kinds of material....egyptian cotton, hemp fleece, bamboo, OBV. Don't even get me started on the wool..... I've literally salivated over knit longies (diaper cover and pants made of wool) so beautiful, they make you want to cry! I'm not proud to admit it, but I have seriously considered trying for a girl, just for the wool longies with ruffles on the booty.

What have I become? Now, being that I'm still expecting quite a few things in the mail, I've become a mailman stalker, hoping every day to get more fluffy wool and soft diapers for Owen. I'm always looking on HyenaCart.com for deals on mom-made or gently used diapers and wool. In fact, they call women like me "hyenas", so I guess that would be the perfect website to log onto 5 times a day! The biggest hyena I know said "how far you've fallen" just last week, and I kind of had to agree. I'm even thinking of learning to knit so I can make my own longies without having to pay up the butt for them (for knit longies, 1 pair brand new, it's not unusual for them to run $60+)!

I wonder what it is about cloth diapering that so many mamas get so interested in? I literally organize mine by color and type, and spend a few minutes every day making a solution of organic baby wash, coconut oil, and warm water to wet down my wipes with (yes, I also use cloth wipes). I actually find it calming, preparing all the diaper things and seeing all the soft puffy diapers all organized on the changing table. Weird, I know. But I'm happy in my little obsession....hey, at least it's not crack!

No comments:

Post a Comment